Wednesday, September 6, 2017

PROFILE: Samantha Riegel – runner

PHOTO CAPTION:  Last year, Claverack resident Samantha Riegel finished the New York City Marathon in just under 5 hours.  She is now training for the Hudson Area Library’s GG5K – 2017.  It is scheduled to take place on Sunday, October 22nd.




Although Riegel didn’t take up running until her late twenties, she is now an avid enthusiast.  With both half-marathons and full marathons under her belt, she now has her sights set on a triathlon.

What made you start running? – I wanted to lose weight after having children (2 boys, 7 and 2 years of age).  With a full time job and child rearing duties, I quickly came to love the solitude – just me alone with music and nature.

How do you train? –Normally, I run 5 days a week – usually 4-5 miles each day – always in the morning. I run near my house in Claverack.  If I’m training for a specific race, I usually get up at 3:30 or 4am and run 6 days a week.  I might do 4 days at 5 miles, then 2 days at 9 – 12 miles. I do strength training then, too.

Tell me about your diet? – Nutrition is a big part of my training.  I do meal prep twice a week and eat “clean” 80% of the time.  We try to eat lots of veggies – like Brussel sprouts and broccoli.  And, after I work out, I’ll eat 4 egg whites and one whole egg.  Lots of fruit, too.

Are you working towards any specific goals? – A couple months ago, I bought a bike so I can train for my first triathlon.  I’ve always enjoyed swimming and, of course, I love to run.  But biking has been a struggle.  I wanted to set this as a new goal that I knew would be difficult for me.  I’m aiming for the Cooperstown Triathlon on June 3rd.

Do you have any books or films that are inspiring? – My favorite book is by Kristin Armstrong. It’s called Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run.  It is full of inspirational quotes that are very relatable.  Sometimes I pull a couple out and write them down – or blog about them with my on-line running acquaintances.  While I’m out, I run them through my head.

I am also a huge fan of Runner’s World Magazine.  I stalk the stores for each new issue, then read it from cover to cover.  I think they have great ideas for training – and interval training.  I never miss it.

What do you like best about running? – The meditation and the free time - especially since I work 80 hours every two weeks.  My favorite part is just unplugging – using the run to clear my mind and prepare myself for the day.  It’s my alone time. 


To register for the Hudson Area Library’s Ghostly Gallop 5K, the GG Walk or GG Kids’ 1-mile Fun Run, go to www.GhostlyGallop.info.  For daily tips to prepare for the run, go to www.Facebook.com/GG5K2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elaine Koss – walker. A part-timer in Stockport, Koss and her husband, Don, walk daily.

Elaine Koss,  Photo credit: Nuria Mendoza How old are you – or, what is your age range?   I am between 75 and 75-1/2....